In anticipation of Summer in Milwaukee, I’m going to share my favorite places to get a good workout in. Of course some of these places are open year round but if you’re anything like me you’re probably a bit more active in the warmer months of the year. It’s finally time to get out of hibernation – here’s where you can find me getting my sweat on this summer 🙂
- CrossFit 414. In short, CrossFit is constantly varied functional movements performed at high intensity. Think barbells, kettlebells, dumbbells, gymnastic, and bodyweight movements. Always a great workout and there’s always something to get better at. When the weather is nice we program a lot of running and sometimes do Saturday partner workouts outdoors.
- Tosa Pool. Lap swimming outdoors is such a treat and doesn’t even feel like a workout! Plus you can catch some rays after you get your workout in. Oh, and don’t forget about the beer garden on the premises that often has live music. My new Friday night routine!
- Bike trails. There are plenty of great biking routes in and around the Milwaukee area and I’m hoping to discover some more this Summer in preparation for my first century ride this Fall. Right now I’m doing lots of ride on the Oak Leaf Trail. Another favorite is the Bugline Trail. I’d also like to explore the Glacial Drumlin State Trail (runs from Milwaukee to Madison).
- Spire Fitness. When the weather isn’t ideal or I just want to get a great cycling class in, this is where I’ll be headed. My favorite classes to take here are Rhythm Ride and TRX. They also offer rowing and are constantly adding new types of fitness classes.
- Walks. I’ve made it my personal goal to get in more steps on a daily basis and it’s a pretty manageable task in a city like Milwaukee. The Riverwalk, Lakeshore State Park, and Lake Drive are all nice spots for a stroll!
That’s what my fitness routine is going to look like in the coming months. What type of workouts do you look forward to doing every Summer? Feel free to share any recommendations in the comments!