Since things have gotten a little more personal and science-based around here recently I wanted to take a step back and share some basic tools that have been helpful for me and my clients. These infographs address two common hang-ups that I get questions about frequently: portion sizes and what to put on your plate. I hope you find these useful – feel free to print them out and hang them up on your fridge or put them in a drawer at work.
- Your plates should consist of 50% vegetables, 25% protein, and roughly 12.5% each of starches/fats.
- Eat slowly and mindfully.
- Minimally processed foods are your best choice.
- Water and herbal tea are great drink options.
- Your own hand is your personalized tool available to you at all times that can help you determine how much of each macronutrient you should be eating at every meal.
- These portion sizes vary for men and women (as a general rule, each macronutrient quantity is doubled for men)